Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Grunge





Today's makeup was a mixture of complete boredom and wanting to do something a little different. I love a smokey eye, but I wanted to hitch it up a notch and go for something more 'Olsen' inspired. Saying that, when my boyfriend came home he did ask me why I looked like Taylor Momsen. I dont know if this means this look epically fails or if his brain has created a permanent link to Taylor whenever eyeshadow is seen. I'm unsure if the look has translated well enough to camera, I basically did my usual base makeup but when it came to the eyeshadow I took it all the way round and made it a lot more intense than I usually do, pulling it down under my eyes to give it a more 'lived in' edge. Like usual I apologise for my inability to pose like a regualr human being, the camera hates me.


On to the makeup; I started with my base which was typically one of my go-to foundations; Nars Sheer Glow in Deauville. I skipped concealer as my skin is looking okay at the minute and went straight on to bronzer (Clarins Bronzing Duo) and added a bit of glow with my Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Nectar - this part wasn't so 'grunge' but true to my personal glowy-cheek preferences. I filled in my brows a little with my Nyx Cake Powder for Brows and then it was onto my eyes. 

Making use of my beloved Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Fuller Fudge, I scribbled it all over the lid packing on the colour on my lid and under the eyes too. I then took a Hakuhodo brush and blended the edges making it softer all the way round. For depth I added Smog and then a bit of Darkhorse from my Naked and Naked 2 palettes on the out corners and underneath my eyes. I lined my eyes, waterline and all, with my L'Oreal Superliner Felt Tip and softened that even more with the matte black shade from the Naked 2 palette. I brought the shadow further down under the eyes than I usually would do, this was to attempt to create that 'lived in'  look that the Olsen sisters so often sport, I think this is what gives the look more of an edge than I typically go for as usually I won't even put much mascara on my bottom lashes so eyeshadow there is usually a no-go. Although I forgot to add this in the photograph, I used my Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara for lots of lashes, top and bottom. 

For lips I put on a bit of my L'Oreal Rouge Caresse in 301 which I really like the formula of. If I was sticking true to the Olsen style I would have attempted a nude lip, but on me a nude lip looks more like 2002 J-Lo than Kardashian cool. Sad times. 

For a more simplistic and less heavy version of this I would just stick to using the Chubby stick alone with a matte black shadow to line the eyes with. However with everything else minimal I think this kind of works? What do you think?

-Emma xx

15 comments:

  1. Looks really lovely! I really want to try out the chubby sticks for eyes! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are so good and easy to use, really recommend them! xx

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great! I love the naked palettes too and really want to try nars sheer glow!
    http://thelipstickthegirlandherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love my naked palettes, I dont get why so many people seem to neglect them! I can never be bothered to find/buy single shadows so theyre so handy. And yes, everyone needs to try it haha! So good :) xx

      Delete
  3. I love love love this look! You look stunning :D

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I love your blog! :) xx

      Delete
  4. I really want a naked palette and Nars sheer glow foundation x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely worthy investments and are probably some of my most loved products! I've followed you sweetie :) xx

      Delete
  5. Love the naked palettes! Jealous you have both!
    Eyes look really good!

    www.shesmadeup.blogspot.co.uk
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such good investment palettes, so versatile! Thank you! xx

      Delete
  6. I think I hate you Em, that is what I think. Sarah x

    http://skinperfecting.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the biggest liar around Sarah Jane :) xxxx

      Delete
    2. Me Sarah Jane or Sarah Jane the other Sarah Jane?

      Delete